Powered By Blogger

Sunday 19 October 2008

The Season is Over

The season is over as far as rotary washing lines are concerned - gardens in general suffer from neglect in winter, and garden centres quieten down. I always thought it would happen, but when the orders dry up it is uncomfortable. So I am brushing up on my marketing, and spending the time available to raise the profile for winter.
What I have to do is to peruade people that an airer with a dryline is an all-year round external drying facility, which is true. Even when the temperature dips near freezing the clothes come in iron-dry. A little damp but nearly all the water has been removed. It relieves households of loads of damp washing taking the energy from the indoor environment and replacing it with moisture. This is of course desirable.
I have gone back to Mike West's brilliant seminars on marketing enabled by MAS-WM, the regional support agency for manufacturers, in order to get my plan together. It is a really black art, and it shows for instance why Tesco is so efficient. Their tracking system is positively Machiavellian, and enables them to predict what will be sold from their shops and when. I won't bore you with the details but it is very clever indeed. What I need is a means of contacting likely customers to enable me to communicate effectively. I also need to spend more time displaying the product in public places, because it is only when people can see, touch and consider the Rotaire Dryline that they actually get the idea - something you can't communicate through a website. Then they realise what it could mean to their own lifestyle.
I spent Saturday in brilliant sunshine reading the course notes and talking to customers in a Co-operative car park with the Dryline on display. It proved to me that the time taken was worth while, even though I am unable to make actual sales on their premises. However, a lot of people were interested enough to take a leaflet. We shall see how many follow through to purchase.

No comments: