Powered By Blogger

Thursday 20 March 2014

Day 4 at the Ideal Home

Day 4: Monday, so there are not so many people around, but it is still pretty busy. Adam called me just literally the moment that I arrived at the stand; before I had even time to take the front cover off. Amazing timing! He ran through the orders he was able to process and send out. Then I opened up the stand and set the lights going again. I wish we had a product that was cheap and we could sell from the stall so that we could measure how well we are doing financially. As it is we can only look at the number of leaflets we have handed out, which is considerable. The Canny Cap chaps have changed personnel but they are rather bored and wishing for more sales. Likewise the Bottle Top Blaster lad, who said he might as well be asleep today as no-one was buying. I spend a lot of time on the computer to keep the emails manageable for later on. It’s difficult when you can’t synchronise the laptop and the desktop – and the desktop is where all the information is kept.


I find that people don’t often identify what the product is when it is housed in a stand of this size, so to say loudly to no-one in particular that we make covers for rotary washing lines often causes people to think about it and realize that it is relevant to their situation. Then we can talk in general terms and I can impart the information they require. Eye contact is really important too; if they look at the stand then it gives me permission to engage them by explaining what the product is. There’s a psychology to this kind of public sales pitch; I just wish I had the knack of it. There are a lot of professional presenters who have a script that often goes for ten or fifteen minutes until the crowd (there’s always a crowd; that’s part of the psychology) can’t wait to buy not one, not two, but three for a bargain price. Ron Popeil perfected the art of this kind of pitch in the US before moving into the “Infomercial” field on TV where he established Ronco, which you may remember selling Veg-O-Matics and such like. The trouble is that you have to stick rigidly to the script, which doesn’t suit my character type.

No comments: